Design and Technology
At English Martyrs, we aim for all children to develop skills and knowledge in design, structures, mechanisms and a wide variety of materials, including food. At each stage of learning, children will be able to build on previous skills and develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
We intend to do this by:
- Ensuring a high quality and progressive D.T. curriculum that is both challenging and enjoyable
- Encourage children to problem solve and develop and adapt their ideas to create a range of products
- Create opportunities for practical activities and develop creativity
- Nurturing innovation and developing the confidence in children so they will take risks
Long, medium and short term planning that is progressive and cohesive across the year groups developing a range of D.T. skills. Teachers teach lessons that are well planned, fun and exciting, providing quality first teaching in line with teaching standards.
- All teachers ‘know where their children are’ through formative assessment and questioning their understanding
- All teachers ‘understand where their children need to be’ through a secure understanding of year group expectations
- All teachers ‘know how they are going to get them there’ through a well planned and progressive curriculum
- Children will have clear enjoyment and confidence in design and technology that they will then apply to other areas of the curriculum
- Children will ultimately know more, remember more and understand more about Design Technology, demonstrating this knowledge when using tools or skills in other areas of the curriculum and in opportunities out of school
- The large majority of children will achieve age related expectations in Design Technology
Click Here to view Whole School Design And Technology Curriculum Overview